Monday 1 February 2010

The runner's nod

It hasn't taken too long for me to feel part of the runner's community, a silent, underground population that only comes out after dark!

Every time I have been out for a run so far I have run past loads of people out doing the same as me! Being a friendly bunch, fellow runners always seem to great one other with a friendly nod (probably something to do with the shared suffering).
The interesting thing I have observed thus far, is that it appears to be the person running the fastest, who's responsibility it is to initiate the greeting.
This unwritten piece of etiquette usually works fine, when you are running towards a slower runner or vice versa for example. Problems only occur when the two runners are running at the same pace, unsure who should nod first, both often leave it until the last second and then blurt out an apologetic 'hi'!

The moral of the story is, 'if in doubt, get your nod in first'!

No comments:

Post a Comment