Thursday 15 April 2010

The final 10!

Ten days to go -aggghhhh! I haven't run for the past few days due to a slightly sore calf muscle - really annoying because I don't want to risk making it worse by running on it but at the same time I would like to get a few more runs in just to keep the fitness ticking over! I am sure it will be fine in time for the big day though so don't worry!
Now that the big day is so close I feel that it's time for me to start reflecting on exactly why I'm doing this! There are 3 reasons.

1) The personal challenge
I have wanted to do the London Marathon for a number of years, I have applied a few times but not been given a place so I was delighted when I 'won' the Elephant Nature Foundation Facebook ballot. My intention is to finish the race in a time that I am happy with and then never do it again! I am a bit worried that if I have a bad day and run slowly I will have to do another one to make up for it :(
2)To say "Thank you"!
So far 58 people have been kind enough to sponsor me which means that I have roughly 1 supporter for every half mile that I will have to run! I am very grateful and hope that I do a good job for you all.
3) To help a cause I really care about!
By far and away the biggest reason to do this is to raise as much money as possible for the Elephant Nature Foundation. The concept of the charity is to offer injured and abused elephants a safe haven under the care of the staff at the Elephant Nature Park as well as striving to educate local people in Thailand in the humane treatment of these amazing creatures.
A really worthy cause that I am delighted to be able to help in this small way!

No comments:

Post a Comment